June 26, 2013

|~ Hooded+Pocketed Mesh Shirt + Tutorial

Hey y'all! I laid down to rest the other afternoon and was struck with inspiration and determination to do this project, so I hopped up and got started.

It was rather easy and I love how it turned out! Took about 2.5 hours taking my time and enjoying the process.

It features a front pocket and hood with contrasting binding.


I actually did all seams except the sleeves and a little bit on the pockets with my serger, just for the fun of it.




  I took pictures of the process and thought I'd share them. :) I bought my fabric at Spandex House several months ago just to experiment with since it's such a cool material. Here's a link

First, I pulled a favorite t-shirt out of my closet and used it as a pattern. Folding the shirt in half and placing it on on the fold of the fabric, I just cut around the outline of the shirt, adding seam allowance. I should have given myself a little more room (ease), but I didn't realize that the athletic mesh wasn't as stretchy as the shirt I was using as a pattern, so the finished fit is a little tight.

I made the armhole a little bigger as well because of the stretching issue.

 I cut out the back piece first and then used it as a pattern to cut out the front piece, but changed the neckline on the front by carefully copying the V of the original shirt. 

I sewed the shoulder and side seams, then tried the shirt on to test for fit. I took in the sides a little and cut the neckline larger. 

 For the sleeves, I used the pattern from my swimwear eBook. I actually ended up cutting out the sleeves again and making them larger to fit the new armhole better, once again, because my fabric wasn't as stretchy as what I'm used to working with.

I made a elastic casing on the sleeves and inserted elastic that I had cut to size. 

For the hood, I traced a hood on my favorite vest. 

 I doubled the fabric over so I would be sure I came out with two of the same shape.

 I improvised the bottom of the hood and just tapered it off slowly so that it would extend down on the V of the shirt.

 I sewed the hood seam together, and then carefully pinned it onto my neckline. Because I was serging all my seams, I didn't have to worry about exposed edges. (I took this picture before I realized I had it pinned inside out, so don't mind that.)

Where the hood tapers off, I just put it onto the V. I made sure it was even on both sides especially on the front.

I found some white knit fabric and folded it over to make a "binding". I carefully pinned this starting at the front of the V, around the neckline, up onto the hood, and back down to the V again. 

At the front of the shirt I just overlapped the ends and sewed them together along the seam lines. 

 For the front pocket, I just made up the shape. I looked at a couple jackets I had with this style pocket and eyeballed my pattern. I did it in half so that it would be symmetrical.

 I did draw my shape out first and decide what it should look like before I cut. I also cut two pieces of "binding" for the handholes.

I tried the shirt on and decided on the placement of the pocket. Believe it or not the height of the pocket has an effect on how flattering it is.

Then I flipped it up and sewed it to the shirt. 

 Folding it down after trimming the seam, I carefully tucked the side edges under and awkwardly (because of the angle) sewed them down inside the pocket.

 I trimmed off the fabric below the pocket and sewed on a wide binding from my mesh fabric.

Because the mesh is see through, I wear a tank top underneath. I'm so glad I took the time to make it; I think this will be a favorite for many years. :)

25 comments:

  1. Very cute! As always you do such a good job taking pictures of the steps and giving very clear instructions! I would love to see a picture of you wearing it.


    ♥Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great Idea! I've got some time tomorrow and some grey knit material, I think I might just make one for myself. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! (And it completely looks store bought!) Thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been wary of sewing my own t-shirts, but you make it sound so easy... I'm thinking I'll give it a try this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I love how creative you are. Will definitely have to try this. Or something quite similar. Thanks for the tutorial!

    Alicia Joy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this looks terrific! I'm thinking that something similar could be made of a thrifted "large" t shirt made of the same material. I love how it's fitted at the hips, but looser around the waist -- totally ready to be paired with a skirt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the post and great idea! I also saw this fabric on spandex house and wondered what I could do with it since it is so cheap! Thanks for taking the time to take such great picture to help explain.I have been wanting to make more shirts for myself since I usually make skirts.I will for sure come back to this post when the baby is not crying! :)
    Blessings!
    ~C

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it!!! It's SO hard to find modest shirts. I'm not much for sewing but I think I'm going to try this. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, Olivia! You are a sewing whiz! Keep it up..its inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it ! This one is really cute ! And the contrasting color is such a good idea!
    I'm just wondering (*Warning* weird question ahead) : doesn't this kind of material tend to smell when you sweat just a little bit in it ?! I remember highschool sports and having to wear stuff made of this material to do teams, and sadly it was stinky !
    Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you know, I would have never thought of that! I would imagine if I don't get too sweaty in it it won't get smelly... we'll have to see though! I've only worn it three times so I can't really say one way or the other. :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks Olivia for posting! I can't wait to try it. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Olivia! What advice would you give for making smaller sizes of these for the sleeves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm understanding your question, you're wondering about downsizing the sleeve pattern? You should be able to just shave what you need to on all sides of the pattern to get to the right size. Alternatively, you can fold the pattern a little in the middle to take out some of the rounded fullness, but that doesn't work if you're downsizing by more than like 3/4 an inch... sorry I'm not sure what else to tell ya. Hopefully I understood the question. :) Lemme know if I can clarify.

      Delete
  13. Cute top! Spandex house has some amazing fabric, I wish their shipping prices to New Zealand were cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, thats so cute! I wish I could try it, but unfortunately I'm not a good sewer! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like this! I want to try it. How long Have you've been sewing?

    ReplyDelete
  16. This soooo cute! But maybe time for a new post?
    I added you to my blog lost.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is adorable! Wow, you are so gifted in this haha I would have no idea where to start on making something like this...

    You have a lovely blog:)

    ~Raquel
    www.God-sDaughter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. New post soon?

    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  19. hey Olivia, why has it been so long since u posted? if its personal, I and probably most of your other viewers will understand, but you could make your presence known on this blog please??. prayers for you~ Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Sorry for the super long absence on this blog. I post a couple times a week on my fashion blog (freshmodesty.blogspot.com) but haven't had time/sewing projects to post for a few months here on Eager Hands. I've got some big things in the works, though, so maybe one day I'll get back to posting here. Thanks for the concern! Blessings!

      Delete
  20. I want to alert people that this wonderful Christian movie is coming to theaters! PLEASE go to aloneyetnotalone.com and read more!

    The unofficial AYNA liaison

    ReplyDelete

~Thank you so much for taking the time to make me smile today!~