April 23, 2013

|~ Chevron Maxi

They're everywhere, these chevron skirts. I couldn't find a cheap one I was sure would fit online, so I made my own in just a couple hours. I ordered 2 yards of striped fabric from Girl Charlee and eagerly got started.

Stealing some pictures from Fresh Modesty to show y'all. 


I took a couple of phone pictures for those of you who would like to know how I made this. 

I used a combination of my skirt pattern from my eBook and one of my favorite maxi skirts to make a pattern. I folded the skirt in 1/3 and 2/3 pieces and traced to create my off-center pattern.

 Then, I laid them together with seam allowance overlap and used a ruler and protractor to draw the chevron guide lines on. They're aligned at a right-angle.

Laying out the pieces was definitely nerve-wracking. I had absolutely no room for mistakes, so I was praying hard as I lined everything up! I had to do the back as one big piece, but I really like how it's interesting stripes turned out. 

For the waistband, I scavenged the longest piece I could (I think it was the bottom right of the above picture, along the stripes) and folded it over and sewed it on in the yoga-band style. Too easy. 

If you're looking for more specific tips on working with knits or creating a chevron skirt, just google "chevron maxi skirt tutorial". There are so many helpful blog posts out there! Let me know if you have any questions!

Blessings!

16 comments:

  1. The chevron skirt is beautiful!! I love it! Maybe one day I'll try to make one of those myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. I need to make a maxi skirt myself. Is your fabric a jersey knit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Olivia! I can't wait to make this!!! Thanks for sharing! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you usually use your serger for sewing on knits, such as this ? You did a great job matching everything up! A bit nerve racking I presume ?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually didn't use my serger for this one since I wanted to be exact with matching stuff up and I'm not so practiced on my serger yet. It actually wasn't as hard as I was expecting, though! :))

      Delete
    2. Okay, thanks! ~Cassie

      Delete
  5. Beautiful!

    I would love to know how you did the yoga style waistband. I just made my first knit skirt and would be interested in doing another one sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful striping contrast! Did you use your serger for this?
    Thanks for posting! ~Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow.. that look so nice.. I wish I can make something like this though, I love long skirt with design like this, somehow if i want to make something like this I have to ask someone to sew it for me... hopefully I can learn to sew someday cause i feel like making my own clothes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Chevron Maxi skirt you made! It's one of the best I've seen for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful skirt Olivia! I am planning on trying this out asap, a friend is giving me a serger, maybe this will be a first project on it! Do you think you could do a tutorial for the yoga style waistband? Also, I was wondering if you could do one on how to make a pattern from a favorite skirt without ripping it apart? That would be great, I absolutely love your wonderful blogs!
    In Him,
    Nichole

    ReplyDelete
  10. What weight of jersey did you use for both the black (which looks heavier) and the striped? I'm looking at girlcharlee, but can't decide which of the two blacks they offer you might be using, or if you used a discontinued one. :)

    Thanks
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mia! Here's the information on the Striped fabric:
      Natural White and Gray Small Stripe Cotton Jersey Knit Fabric (CJ-2206)
      and here's the info on the black:
      Black Solid Cotton Lycra Knit Fabric (CL-1255)
      Hope that helps!

      Delete

~Thank you so much for taking the time to make me smile today!~