To cut the skirt pieces, I used the pattern from my eBook (transferred to the lining of a chicken feed bag for ease of use). For the front, I placed the pattern on the fold, but off-set it by 4" or so to give me fabric for the pleats.
The back I cut on the selvage edge at the normal width. (BTW, if you don't have one of those heavy magnetic pincushions, you need to get one. I use it as a pattern weight and the world's most convenient pin catcher. My sewing time is drastically reduced by it's saving qualities. This was not sponsored.)
Then I slashed it in half a dozen points from one long edge to about 3/4" from the other. I laid this on another two pieces of paper taped together and splayed it out (with the help of some tape) so that the bottom long edge matched half my hip measurement.
Cut out 4, with seam allowance added.
For the front detail, I just folded the ends of the waistband piece towards the center. I held the piece up to me to determine the width.
I interfaced the piece as well. I just slapped it over the folded under seam allowance so that I wouldn't have to worry about pinning that while I sewed.
To make sure they lined up, I used the detail piece to measure how/where to fold in my front pleats, making sure to end up with it fitting my hips.
I laid the front detail over the front waistband piece and just sewed it into the seam as I attached the facing.
I put in a side zipper, hand-stitched the six front buttons on, and hemmed it to work with heels. :)
If you'd like more detail on exactly how to do this type of waistband (well, this is a modified version, but the principles and techniques are the same), there are 9 pages of instructions and pictures in my Denim eBook.